PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 14th Mar 2014, 11:42
maxred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before this thread really goes south, the direction it is headed, I am finished commenting any further, thanks to all of you who kept this thread on a civil level.Chuck Ellsworth
Shame that it has to end this way

but it might be a few years down the line that they buy a Cirrus and many pilots do not keep up to speed with the basics, so it may be nothing to do with the basic teaching!
Exactly why recurrent training, and training on type, is essential.

Hence Chucks comments of flying should be an Art but has in many cases become a book of painting by numbers was very thought provoking.
And in my view it still is an art. By that I mean, a process of self improvement, a pride in doing things well. An understanding that when you make an error, you try and learn from it. It appears to me, as life changes, the golden years of aviation created an aura, a can do attitude, a pioneer spirit. This has waned into the past.

As technology enhances, then this scenario is replaced by, rightly, advances in aviation technology. With that, the training syllabus, must also change. But it is transition period, and the training organisations must also change, not only in the kit that is used, but in the instructors visions. One thing is clear though, flight is about basics, and if these are not taught, and taught well, then I doubt the accident rates will ever fall.