PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 14th Mar 2014, 11:20
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FOXMOTH

There is some truth in that! As another thought I wonder how much we become victims of technology, autopilots and such which we come to rely on forgetting our basic flying skills.
How often do pilot get lost in the displays and systems relying on pressing the autopilot button on and sitting there as PAX for the flight.

How often do SEP pilots practice PFLs or stalls or even steep turns.

Its the same with twin pilots! How often do they practice engine out scenarios? often not at all!

Maybe years back the pilot did not have all this technology and had to be more of a hands on thinking and creative pilot?

I can remember when I thought Decca was amazing as well as being able to artificially place a VOR on track

Now we have pictorial terrain displays all on a screen knowing where we are to within a metre. We even have a button to press to level the wings for us! but flying some of these machines is unreal a bit like flying a home simulator rather than an aircraft? Hence basic handling gets lost somewhere in the mix? Until its suddenly needed but lacking.

Hence Chucks comments of flying should be an Art but has in many cases become a book of painting by numbers was very thought provoking.
Equally BPFs comments on broken nose wheels due to excess speed on approach would reinforce that flying by numbers has crept into the training world as well. Sorry BPF maybe show your students how to fly a faster approach and still be on the numbers for landing? Show them how to use power and drag in all its guises not just gear and flaps

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 14th Mar 2014 at 11:42.