PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2014, 11:00
clayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by threemiles
Post 1389 of this thread

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/5...ml#post8364395

What do you see? I see an alarm go off and almost no search, with jackets on. Big bags going through xray.

After Egyptair, Silkair, LAM and the like, would be worth to know if MH 777 flight deck doors can be opened from outside by keycode.
If you're wondering about the hypothetical difficulty of getting a weapon past security - yes, that's definitely possible (but obviously not recommended). The pat-down in Malaysian (and similarly Indonesian [and others]) airports is basically a formality and no where near as extensive or rigorous as the US. It seems like the majority of people set off the scanner - even with the obvious things removed (belt, lighters, phone, etc) so there's quite a few people getting routine pat downs and, as we all know, anything routine results in short-cuts and inattention. I could imagine that if one were ballsy and serious about it, they'd just pack a gun in their crotch or shoes - as the guards don't spend a lot of time on those areas. I cannot remember the last time I've even seen a hand scanner in the airports - it's always a pat down. IMO, security in SEA airports is mostly about the appearance of security with just adequate usage of the normal stuff (scanners), but definite swiss cheese.

That being said, I find US airport security to be a PITA/chip-on-shoulder/police-state in comparison but let's save that discussion for another time.

Personally, I'm still in the "no foul play" camp on this one. I also find the excessive paranoia over the captain's sim hobby to be firmly within the realm of "the terrorists have won."

People just want a dramatic outcome rather than the more likely sad reality.

Last edited by clayne; 14th Mar 2014 at 11:19.