PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Jetstar Pilot Cadet Program
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2014, 06:05
Flyboat North

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice scare campaign with the Jetstar cadets getting moved on etc. The fact is that 95% of those who started the course have moved into full time employ with Jetstar. Just the same rate achieved in BA , Luftansa, the other large Asian cadet airlines such as SIA.

Nice story again about the Qantas cadet , all abandoned by the big bad company. Just no truth in it , all those on the QF cadetship moved into employment with Qlink , a number now captains there. Also many QF cadets moved into the Jetstar program, now flying A320s. So really they did quite well as compared to a GA guy who would have to spend five years getting competitive times for Qlink - then compete with several hundred for a start.

Why do you guys get so emotive, about the whole cadetships V GA conversation ?

My view is that someone would be foolish to without any backup qualifications/experience fund a CPL/IR , and that is my view supported by hard data.

The vast majority of GA experience is an underemployment , underpaid hand to mouth existence, where looking at it now you need to spend ten years before you had competitive times to join a major airline. About a five % chance of pulling it off I would suggest - why would anybody who knew the reality of the industry sign up for that kind of deal ?

A lot of people really just aren't all that interested in spending their prime years living in remote area Australia, getting paid peanuts. If the person is a high achiever they know they could of graduated from USyd or somewhere, earning good coin in the city, building a career - why would you swap that for remote area GA slave living ?

Cadetships you are sitting in an A320 18 months after completing year 12 earning $75K to $80K - really not much of a comparison is there ?

I think most of you guys in GA know now deep down that you are not going to ever be employed by a major airline, and you resent deeply those who are.

It is an understandable reaction to dreams that well , they just didn't turn out did they ?