PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2014, 06:00
perantau

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Impressions on Press Conference

Over the course of the week, we've seen the Malaysians hold several press conferences. As we are not privy to what goes on behind the scenes to the actual SAR work, we can only draw the efficacy of their operations from these media events.

IMHO, they started the press conferences like deer caught in headlights, but are getting better. I think they have revealed what they are sure of, and were cautious with unconfirmed information at hand. Military secrecy is not unique to them, and I was suprised that earlier press conferences involved a couple of generals. If unlawful acts were considered, it is understandable that leads were not publicised straight out. They have been consistent in saying the priority is to find the plane, and I believe this is matched by what they do on the ground (well, at sea & in the air, rather).

But being in the limelight is clearly not their thing. To make matters worse, those on the podium try to communicate in English, only a second language in Malaysia. They were hesitant, clumsy and uncoordinated. And so we judge their whole operation by what we see there.

Everyone is frustrated with the lack of progress. It is all too easy to place blame as a way to vent.