PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FLIGHT SAFETY article "Twin Trouble"
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2003, 17:48
WhiteRat Wannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FLIGHT SAFETY article "Twin Trouble"

After reading this article, i was wondering if anyone else agreed with the writers practice of holding the aircraft on the runway until blue line is reached. This seems odd to me for a number of reasons.....

1) I've yet to fly an aircraft that would like being held on the ground 30 knots after normal rotate speed..

2) It would be an uncomfortable and unprofessional takeoff, hammering along and then launching into the sky...

3) It is not practical on shortish and or unimproved surfaces...

4) It is extra wear and tear on the aircraft...

5) Surely, if you follow the normal procedure for your aircraft then at the time when you would be rotating at blueline(some 5 to 10 seconds after normal rotate) then you would have a bit of height (potential energy) which is easily converted to kinetic energy (speed).....

6) If you had an engine failure JUST after takeoff after rotating at blueline you would definately struggle to stop on the remaining length whereas if you rotated at the normal speed you may have a chance of stopping after aborting.....

Just a few of my thoughts on this practice, but i would be interested to see how others operate and their views on the matter.

WRW