PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 14th Mar 2014, 01:41
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
Crash 1

I of course do not know you or observed the instruction you received. All I have to go by is your posts which described an extremely dysfunctional instructional process. My experience has been when things are that bad the problem is not totally one sided. By that I mean both parties are contributing to the problem.

Students have to take ownership of their training. That means researching schools, making an effort to establish a good rapport with their instructor and if for what ever reason they feel that things are not going right to communicate their issues to their instructor and if necessary the chief flight instructor. A change of instructors or an insistence that all instruction will be with the one instructor that works for you may be required.

Are there bad instructors out there ? Absolutely ! Could Flying training be better, of course but presuming incompetence, and venality as the norm for todays instructor cadre, which seems the subtext to many posts does not seem to be a very useful way to improve the situation. If that makes me an apologist for instructors, then I guess you are correct.