PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IFE maps and unplanned events
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2014, 23:02
Donkey497

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
What would be the point?
You would need to be either a dead heading pilot or a really frequent flier spending all your time every flight following the route to be able to tell the difference. Most flights only follow a general routing only picking different options for different legs of the flight depending on weather and other events & in any case, precious few flights follow true great circle routes from point to point.
So, if you are a frequent flier you'll already know the general routes, but not the specific overfly points & probably won't care.

In know form my own flights I have done a fair amount of regular long haul UK to North America & UL to Far East & I don't think that I have ever followed the same exact route twice - there's always been something to put a deviation in the route like heavy thunderstorms over Middle east to SE Asia during monsoon season, different transatlantic tracks due to the location & depth of N Atlantic depressions. I can't say that I have been perturbed in any way & paid anything more than passing attention to any change of route.