PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 13th Mar 2014, 22:52
Crash one

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you Chuck, I didn't want to sound like some know all trying to tell instructors what I knew about flying which was bugger all!

However here's a couple more: The syllabus, maybe it was an oversight but I was sent solo, after 14 hrs, after a few hours, 4 I think, of solo consolidation I, perfectly innocently asked if I could perhaps stall the thing, just to see the characteristics of the 152. This caused some kerfuffle in the instructors little room while I was asked to wait!! Exercise 10 A & B followed.

I don't recall much instruction regarding weight & balance, something on the lines of "we've flown together before so let's go". Having to figure it out for the GFT wasn't easy!!

My QXC solo was done in, I suppose, scud running conditions. A rain squall at 2 miles beyond take off, I advised departure that they should expect to get rained on in 5 mins so get the G&T indoors. 20mins later I had a race to the first turn point with a big black cloud, managed that, turned 160 deg and ran ahead of it to first landing, waited a while till it passed then followed it to second landing, then ran for home before the next one came too close. I enjoyed it but only because I'd done similar in snow with gliders.

I only did one diversion, once again over familiar home ground, 10 miles to home base! I did no short field take offs or landings, nor any ops from grass till after I bought my own aircraft & based it on 600metres grass farm strip.

I also never did anything in the way of practice PAN, which I think is a no no in US but is encouraged by D&D in UK for their exercise as well as students.

After the required solo time & QXC I was then abandoned & left to arrange the GFT with the examiner at another airfield by myself. Other students said the same. Maybe that is standard practice?

Is any of this standard practice or was I just unlucky? This was all 8 yrs ago so may well have changed.

My licence is just a NPPL, which doesn't allow me to add any IR etc but I know a very good ex instructor (lapsed ticket) who had me doing enough blind flying to find home base well enough if required. The aircraft isn't instrument rated but it does have a half decent panel.