PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Load Distribution Using Spreaders
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2014, 21:25
john_tullamarine

Received 111 Likes on 71 Posts
underfire,

Perhaps you could PM me with a synopsis of your background so that we don't waste too much time going around in circles ? I do find some of your posts rather perplexing .. as does my good colleague, Mr Williams, I suspect ...

you must look at the CG of the load.

fair comment. However, other than for very asymmetric loads, I don't think folks generally worry too much in practice .. although the design folk certainly run this consideration into restraint system calculations.

Restraints .. may not be able adequately distribute the load to the floor uniformly.

an innovative thought ... the restraints are more likely to do just as well in turning flight as for straight and level. As to whether that be good or bad is the province of the design folks.

The spreaders must be designed not to flex and create a punching shear or excessive bending moment in the floor.

as suggested previously in several spots.

Max angle on a strap is 30 degrees

why ever might that be ? The restraint designer will use whatever angles suit the circumstances, considering geometric limitations, practical workability, and the boss's preferences ....

so a high CG of the load is going make things difficult.

why ? All taken care of in the back room head scratching.

Bank the ac 25 degrees, and that offset cg load will distribute unevenly to the spreaders, and any flex in the spreader will create a concentrated load.

again, unless we are looking at wildly unbalanced flight - and we ought not need to worry too much about that - how does the bank angle cause this to happen in a manner different to straight and level flight ?

For any real life half sensible spreader, the second statement is invalid.

In general, this is addressed in the Load Factors and Apparent Weight calcs

matters for the design PE folks to concern themselves with .. the pilots etc., only have to follow the load system requirements which should make the exercise very straightforward. Unless one is looking, say, at a basic pilot weight and balance theory course in which such things might be introduced for background understanding ... ?

It is the unusual loads, especially the ones that are near floor limits, that should be addressed.

likewise. The pilots etc. should just follow the system specified and the back room folks should have made sure that it all works according to Hoyle.

I look forward to your continuing responses ...