PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question: re-issue of JAA PPL from the US
Old 13th Mar 2014, 20:35
Level Attitude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the problem with these piggyback licences: You're building a house of cards
I totally agree with this and would always advise someone to maintain the underlying Licence usable in State of Issue.

However the FAA must have some basis for stating:
Also I checked with the FAA that they do not requiere a JAA medical, they told me a FAA medical is sufficient.
FCL.070 Revocation, suspension and limitation of licences, ratings and certificates
(a) Licences, ratings and certificates issued in accordance with this Part shall be limited, suspended or revoked
The Licence remains valid, but its (EASA) privileges are suspended.

MED.A.020 Medical certification
(c) Applicants for and holders of a private pilot licence (PPL) shall hold a valid class 2 medical certificate.
This is completely meaningless.
No one is required to surrender their Licence just because their Medical has expired - so they remain the 'Holder' of a valid PPL - just one whose Privileges have been suspended.

Even if the CAA Medical Department is written to, in order to inform them
of a reason (eg: broken leg) that the pilot is no longer fit, the letter they
send out does not say the Licence is no longer valid, it says the privileges
may not be exercised.

A “valid” licence. A licence is valid if it has been issued and: (a) it has not expired (or is non-expiring); and (b) it has not been provisionally suspended, suspended or revoked; and (c) the holder has a current and valid medical certificate or medical declaration appropriate to the licence
wb9999,
I was unable to find this quote in CAP804. Do you have a reference?

In any case CAP804 is explanatory, and cannot contradict Part_FCL which is mandatory and, especially since they use "Bunny Ears", I would class this as a simplification of the Law to aid in understanding.

Could also say that an FAA Medical is "appropriate to the licence" for use in N-Reg aircraft.

I reiterate that, to be certain, I would strongly recommend that nobody flies on an FAA 'Piggy Back' Licence unless the Licence it is based on is also usable in the State of Issue - However I do not think there is a legal reason why an FAA medical would not be acceptable for N-Reg aircraft in the US.