PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Armed Forces Pay Review Board 2014
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2014, 19:31
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Whenurhappy,

If you don't like it you don't have to stay, indeed nobody does.

Based on what you have said on other threads you are at least a Wg Cdr, quite possibly even more senior, on a string of overseas (normally embassy related) tours, being extended past 55, possibly well past 55. Since a minimal pay rise isn't exactly a surprise, presumably you took this into account as part of your decision making process when electing to stay? You've still got you house in UK rented out to supplement your income, and your BSA to help pay school fees.

Meanwhile, back in the real world, it is the junior ranks that will suffer the most. How many now are on such low incomes that they qualify for benefits? That is what is disgraceful.
That may be so and my PERSEC perhaps isn't what it should be, but as I said in my post, 'those of us still serving ...' and this includes our junior ranks, who are disproportionatety disadvantaged by this 'pay rise'. From 1 April the allowance package for my fast-approaching last overseas tour is to be halved and it does, at least for me, question why I am bothering to do it, and the impact is much much greater for junior ranks serving in niche appointments abroad as well.

Why do I bother? Perhaps I'm old fashioned, perhaps it's because I like this sort of work and think that it is important - like many of us who are continuing to serve. And, for me, every day is a school day and I will meet fresh experiences on a daily basis. Not many jobs practically available to me could provide this stimulation. Certainly there are few jobs requiring me to catch the 0732 from Surbiton for the next 20 years that could provide the variety and challenges - though, sadly, not the glittering rewards.

I'm doing a job that many officers I have met over the years have stated they would like to do, yet prefer the greasy pole of High Wycombe and 'married patch politics', and don't bother to apply for, on the basis of possible promotion, the preception of career death, spouses' job, kids education (and in one recent case) wouldn't be able to take their elderly arthritic dog!

Oh, and lay off ther personal stuff, eh?