PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2014, 19:07
EcamSurprise

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
put the transponder to standby, select 7700
My points on this statement:

1) My understanding is that this isn't required on the 777 (albeit maybe something from the past).

2) If I was in an emergency situation, my first action would not be to set the transponder. Aviate, Navigate & Communicate and all that good stuff. I would be on 02 and getting the aircraft going down. If I am by myself in the cockpit, then the 'flow' of bits like belts, pax 02, transposer and coms would be secondary to getting the aircraft established in a descent or under control.

3) Isn't the purpose of going to SBY to avoid accidentally setting one of the 'major' squawks. I.E 7700, 7500 or 7600.
If I was in an emergency situation, and I wanted to set 7700 anyway, why would I care about going to SBY first?

This just seems like an explanation which conveniently fits a scenario, but just doesn't come across as realistic.

IF all sorts is hitting the fan, to the extent that I FORGET to put my 02 Mask on as my very first action, then it is probably because I am attempting to control the the aircraft NOT faffing around with setting a squawk.

Lastly, with emergency descent perhaps being the exception, does everyone always set 7700 before talking to ATC? I'd find it more instinctive to be getting out some form of Mayday rather than playing with a squawk as my primary action or at the very least doing it at the same time. Even if it were a "Mayday Mayday Mayday, XXXX, Emergency Descent / Fire / Etc, STANDBY."

Just my thoughts.
I just don't buy it that someone would be playing with a transponder BEFORE descending the aircraft (if needed) as seen by the fact no change of course / altitude was detected and BEFORE going on 02. These are professional crews and I'd suggest 02 is a instinctive action.