PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 13th Mar 2014, 13:51
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
SS the recent video gives a excellent example of proper mayday call with position report from low altitude.
Are you and SAS incapable of performing that call?
Firstly, was that really the handling pilot calling the Mayday on the police channel?
As they had just that minute lifted from Stinson, wouldn't he be on the airfield frequency, or are you suggesting that he changed frequency in order to put out the Mayday on the Police channel as opposed to the air traffic channel already selected?

I would suggest that it was the non handling pilot doing the shouting, leaving the handling pilot to deal with the situation i.e. flying the aircraft.

If you believe it was the handling pilot giving the call, why at the beginning of the incident was he shouting, '"Come on auto! Come on auto! and why at the end did he shout, "Flare!, Flare!". Kind of suggests it was the non handling pilot doing the talking don't you think?

Looking at the end of the video that you refer to, I'd personally like to be a bit better set up for the touchdown, then put out the call; Rather than get the call out, and arrive in the way that they did …. via the power lines ...!

I wonder what might have happened in the case of 'my Mayday incident', if I gave out the call as the priority, rather than fly the aircraft, open the windows, turn off the heating, warn the passengers and go for a landing site ... as the cockpit was filling with smoke!
As it happened the call was made, but only once the condition was under control!