PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 13th Mar 2014, 10:23
SilsoeSid

Purveyor of Egg Liqueur to Lucifer

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts
I can quite understand and agree with what DB is saying in that last post, and given the environment in which the unit operates, perhaps the condition of low fuel levels was indeed one that they were used to. Why would that night have been any different?

Was/is there a refuelling arrangement at Edinburgh?
They did a 35 minute task in Glasgow before flying 20 mins to Dalkeith for a 4 minute task. Leaving the task with less than 110kgs in the main, with another 20 minute transit back to Glasgow, surely must have rang some bells? Do they never get tasked while airborne?
Edinburgh is a 24h airfield, how often does the unit use the facilities? Is there an arrangement with them for fuel? Is the fuel there expensive?
EGPH - Edinburgh

I would suggest that with the company frf of 85kgs at night, the crews up in Glasgow were/are accustomed to flying having both transfer pumps off and the cautions illuminated, if it was 90 kgs for example, they wouldn't be so. I assume it is the same for the Air Ambulance up there.

Risky Shift
If one is used to seeing a caution on the CAD, especially with the light levels turned down (possibly for the transit over a large dark area) do you read the words or see the words? "PRIME PUMP, PRIME PUMP, F PUMP AFT, F PUMP FWD .... there's a caution on, it's a pump, it's normal ....... and this is where I agree with DB's risky shift reference.

Lessons and Legacies, certainly!
I'd wager that we're all flying around with a different frame of mind these days.