PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 13th Mar 2014, 02:48
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crash one, I started this thread wondering why a flight school would sell its Super Cub, they already own it and it is insured and part of their training fleet.

Like all discussions this one has gone around and around with lots of different ideas.

I have let my medical expire for the last year because it was the only way I could get out of having to fly for someone else, I am toying with the idea of renewing my medical.

If I do renew my medical and decide to do some part time training doing it in a flight school would not be where I would choose to do it for several reasons.

The biggest reason is I have not done any training in the flight school sector of aviation since 1965 and I have no desire to renew my flight instructors rating for many reasons.....and one of the biggest reasons is I can not see any reason to work for the low pay to be made in a flight school.

However I could go back to offering flight training focused on skills upgrading to licensed pilots and for sure that can pay very well, when I was last in the advanced flight training business my hourly rate was about five to ten times the hourly rate a flight school pays.

So no thanks I'll pass on going to a flight school just to see how they operate.