PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OXFORD/KIDLINGTON
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2014, 01:54
Phileas Fogg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Thanks for "jumping down my throat"!

I presume the figures quoted of previous operations were achieved utilising smaller equipments on a more regular basis.

Take the NQY operation as an example, a route I know from old, one might easily and regularly transport 120+ passengers a day each way to/from LON but it wouldn't work putting a 120+ seater jet on the route once a day, or indeed a B747 on the route twice a week, the only way those figures may be achieved is by operating 3 or 4 services daily on appropriately sized equipment.

It's an old-fashioned concept that these modern day statisticians, it seems, don't grasp, it's called "operating the services when the travelling public actually want to travel"!.

Now back on to the subject of Kidlington, let it not be missed that they announced once weekly PMI services utilising S2000 equipment in recent years, it never got going.

Even more ridiculous than that was their announcement of NYC Xmas shopping charters from/to Kidlington and as for the short lived EDI and DUB services, well the less said about them the better.

The problem is, and shall always be, trying to round up enough punters if the equipment is oversized for the catchment area so what catchment area does Kidligton actually have?

Just down the M40 is the world's busiest airport, move more than just a little eastbound and one falls within LTN's catchment area, move north then BHX's catchment area, south then down the A34 for a host of C.I. services from SOU, south-west then BRS and west then Staverton, who it seems, agree with my belief that smaller equipments need to be utilsed more of the time to make such a route viable.

The problem will be that Kidlingtom are trying to fill 46 seats at 8 o'clock on a Saturday morning and from a very limited catchment area, I suggest that, at best, the operation will struggle but then what do I know, I'm just a troll ... apparently

Last edited by Phileas Fogg; 14th Mar 2014 at 06:37.