PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 13th Mar 2014, 01:48
Big Pistons Forever

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts
I learned to fly in the early 1970's. At that time there were still lots of flight schools with tail draggers and more importantly there were still many active X military instructors most of whom had been Military QFI's. They were the product of a huge Air Force training system and a system that had most pilots only served a short service commission and then went to civvy street.

These guys trained most of the instructors and even though most working instructors started as low time CPL's with instructor ratings they were mentored by men of great experience and ability. There were still lots of tail draggers in commercial use in the bush and in ag flying, so tail wheel time was an advantage to CPL's looking for work

Today that cohort of tax payer paid for exceptional air force training is almost totally absent as air forces have greatly reduced their throughput and pilots stay in for much longer, so getting good instructor rating instruction and getting on the job mentoring from a professional is much more difficult. Tailwheels are almost extinct in commercial aviation jobs and hefty insurance surcharges for tail wheel aircraft make it difficult to use them at flying schools and they are perceived to have little advantage for budding CPL's.

Advocating a return to the "good old days" of trail draggers and experienced instructors is IMO a totally impractical fantasy.

In any case I don't think it is necessary as I see plenty of keen young instructors with a great attitude and pretty good hands and feet. So it would seem to me if one was truly interested in improving flight training today there we should be advocating for things that are actually implementable.

I would also suggest that if you want young instructors to actually listen to you continually crapping on them with blanket statements that imply they are universally incompetent is not an effective strategy.

So to start the discussion here is 4 ideas to make instructing better

1) The POH gives a range of airspeeds to fly on final. Use the lowest speed given for every configuration. There seem to me far to many flight schools that mandate excessively high approach speeds which IMO is largely responsible for the busted nosewheel accidents.

2) Place more emphasis on learning aircraft systems and how an airplane works. Low/no knowledge results in airplanes operated by mindlessly following the checklist without understanding what is happening. Runup checks are a particularly egregious example of this.

3) Checklist are a safety of flight tool and not an instructional tool. Most flight schools are needlessly long and complicated. If misusing a particular control, guage,device will not result in an immediate reduction in flight safety than it should not be on the checklist. Also they are called "checklists" not "do-lists" for a reason. Most checks should be done as a flow and then when appropriate "checked" with the checklist.

4) GPS is a huge safety enabler. Flight schools need to stop pretending it doesn't exist and instead educate pilots on how to use it appropriately.