PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MERGED: Jetstar Pilot Cadet Program
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2014, 01:30
mcgrath50

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If that was me Flyboat, I'd shake my friend/Captains hand and invite him to catch up with a beer that weekend. Over the beer(s) we'd discuss what we had been up to over the past 10 years. I'd tell him about the skydiving gig I got my start on. Then moving further up north to chase a charter gig. Flying a 210 over parts of the country tourists pay hundreds of dollars to see. Trying to time my jump to a twin operator at the perfect time. Moving from a baron to the conquest and loving the capabilities of that aircraft. I did my first trip across Australia from coast to coast, a truly memorable experience.

Oh did I mention the fishing, crabbing and camping I did over these years? Something that became a new passion for this city boy. Not to mention the backpackers rolling through town every dry season.

I made my way into a regional airline, finally back to a major city, and was able to offer my captain knowledge and experience I had forged over many hours. Most of the guys I flew with had trod the same path and we traded stories of owners, planes and 'local characters' from our time up North. I upgraded to Captain and spent a few years with a turboprop command before getting the call from Jetstar. I'd made it. A 10 year adventure one where I had made many new friends, experienced some of the most amazing sights and people this country has to offer and honed my flying skills and airmanship.

I asked my friend/Captain what he'd been doing the past 10 years? He'd flown an A320. Become a captain. He'd lived in Melbourne the whole time. He asked me to tell him more about those backpackers...