PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 12th Mar 2014, 22:54
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armchairflyer

I was born in the 50s and took up flying in the early 80s. Where can you draw the conclusion that higher accidents statistics were due to inferior instructing in the 50s compared to now?

Back in the 50s the navigation equipment was non existent compared to nowadays. Pilots did not have the abundance of situational displays and all the other gubbins available today including all the internet weather etc available nowadays, flight planning programmes and all the other pilot aids available on the net !

Now we even have chuted aircraft where the pilot is told to pull the chute for anything and everything which might challenge him including totally stupid stuff like frozen pitot tube, radio failure, simple stall off incorrect use of the autopilot, failure to fly a basic missed approach. I suppose those chute pulls were all down to the superior instructing nowadays?

Give me a break when we have threads started here by pilots scared to stall on their own because they are worried it might go wrong and then they will be in zones they have never experienced with modern instructing?

What a load of bull! Those statistics have NOTHING to do with superior instructing nowadays.

I have lost seven friends since I started flying! When I think back to some of the **** stuff I have flown in, The homemade approached to ridiculously low levels, the Icing, failures, thunderstorm encounters etc etc etc. I wonder how I am still here!
Does that make me a brilliant pilot NO a lucky one maybe! But one thing I am sure of some of the old instructors taught me things which have served me well and got me out of numerous scrapes.

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 12th Mar 2014 at 23:13.