PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Habsheim
Thread: Habsheim
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2014, 21:32
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
I thot Doze or another contributor tried to duplicate the stall/recovery for AF447 in the sim.

Unless early flight tests showed a poor pitch co-efficeint at a high AoA, as we had in the Viper, then an approach to stall at 20K would seem to provide great data for the simulator. No need to reach the AF447 complete stall conditions, but at least show the ability of the alpha protect and such to help the pilot. From the AF447 data, seems to me that the 'bus has poor nose down authority once past 15 or 20 degrees AoA. Our problem in the Viper was similar, in some ways. We had plenty of nose up, but our AoA limiter would not let us use it. Nose down was FUBAR due to the design of the jet and its pitch co-efficient at 40 - 50 degrees AoA. Hence, we had the manual pitch override switch that would only work if AoA was above 30 degrees.

I still feel the accident, if you can call it that, was the result of poor planning and practice, and improvised changes in the "plan". I won't comment any further on the airmanship of the pilot.