PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2014, 17:14
MPN11

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by bloxin
777: The crew oxygen bottle is mounted horizontaly on the left aft wall of the nose wheel well structure with the fittings (propelling nozzle) facing forward. This aims the bottle, in the event of a QF30 type failure, directly into the MEC containing all boxes concerned with coms and a lot more.
Before all of its energy is spent, an huge amount of damage could be caused to equipment and the bottle could, conceivably, cause a decompression.
When the crew respond by doning oxygen mask, there is no oxygen and hypoxia is the next link in this proposed chain of events.
This link is entitled "Hypothetical" and is only that. I believe it ticks a few boxes.
Hoping this post make it and generates some discussion.
Thank you. You answered some of the questions I wanted to ask.

An 'event' in that underfloor equipment bay (posted earlier with a YouTube link, and with diagrams) suggests there is a lot of collocation of equipment.

Would someone with relevant expertise advise on the consequences of a major event (deliberate or accidental) in that compartment? What equipment might be disabled as a result? Consequent Cabin depressurisation? A simple list rather than a dissertation might suffice for now.

I'm specifically thinking of SSR, Comms, FD Crew oxygen. Could that allow normal Autopilot operation whilst the FD becomes incapacitated? Thus permitting the aircraft to proceed on its way (whichever that may be) until (whatever) finally destroys flight integrity? In other words, an airborne "Marie Celeste"

Last edited by MPN11; 12th Mar 2014 at 17:39. Reason: Last short sentence