PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How did you get into flying?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2003, 04:52
Juliet Papa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, lets see - brother in the ATC, lots of airfix kits, then when I was old enough a radio-controlled glider. Taught myself to fly it by reading a Woolworths 'How Planes Fly' book. All the while supplementing this with yearly trips to the Shoreham airshow befor it stopped in the early 80's - BTW i saw the Vulcan there - WOW!!

Then got out of the habit when I went to college and found girls and pubs and clubs, but never lost the yearning. My partner got pissed off with me constantly looking up at the sky whenever a plane went over (she's used to it now) and bought me a trial lesson with a club at Shoreham when the revamped airshow was on. Took it in the winter, was a bit underwhemed by the whole experience (i think due to an indifferent instructor ) and did nothing for a couple of years, until a new school started at Shoreham and I went along to their open day. Next thing I know I'm doing my PPL and loving it!!

Earliest aviation memory - being on the beach in front of my folks house with my mum and seeing Concorde fly along the coast, gear down, nose down, high alpha, high noise. Must have been two or three at the time, so '71 or 2. Dunno what it was doing, but I think that maybe where the seed was sown...