PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2014, 15:58
Bloxin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hypothetical

Hello.
This is my third attempt to make a post here. Maybe, as I'm new here I'm doing it wrong.
I am a licenced engineer, B747.
This post attempts to describe, with precedents, a possible single failure that would cause loss of coms, depressurisation and crew disablement due to hypoxia.

Precedent: QF30 25 July 2008 Pax oxygen bottle "explodes" tearing a hole in fuselage.

Ref: Please google "Qantas oxygen bottle explosion" and view photos of damage.
The picture taken inside the fwd cargo compartment shows one bottle missing.
there is no evidence of shrapnel damage in the photo. Therefore, no eplosion.
The bottle appears to have detached itself from its connections and propelled itself down through the fuselage skin.

777: The crew oxygen bottle is mounted horizontaly on the left aft wall of the nose wheel well structure with the fittings (propelling nozzle) facing forward. This aims the bottle, in the event of a QF30 type failure, directly into the MEC containing all boxes concerned with coms and a lot more.
Before all of its energy is spent, an huge amount of damage could be caused to equipment and the bottle could, conceivably, cause a decompression.
When the crew respond by doning oxygen mask, there is no oxygen and hypoxia is the next link in this proposed chain of events.
This link is entitled "Hypothetical" and is only that. I believe it ticks a few boxes.
Hoping this post makes it and generates some discussion.

*** Above info on position of fittings incorrect. Further research reveals... ***

TURIN

I noted your original post saying that the crew O2 bottle fittings were on the aft side of the bottle and thought that the the wind was blown out of my hypothetical sail.

However. I have done some more research on the QF30 incident and found in the Australian Transport Safety Bureau report that the bottle was propelled upward through the cabin floor where it damaged a door handle, some trim and then dove back through the hole in the floor and exited the aircraft via the hole in the fuselage... RUBBISH??? Thats what I thought.

However. There is a photo tab on the web page. The last photo of the set is of an O2 bottle sized hole in the floor panel directly above the hole in thefuselage.

The Pax O2 bottles in the 747 fwd cargo sidewall stand vertically. Plumbing on top.

The missing bottle was not found onboard.

Ref: Australian Transport Safety Bureau website

Aviation safety investigations and reports

Search: July 2008 and QF30 is top of the list

All. My hypothetical structure ofevents is purely speculative, as most here are, until we get some real facts towork with.

Thank you. Blox in.

Last edited by Bloxin; 13th Mar 2014 at 21:29. Reason: Attemps to post new information unsuccessfull