PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2014, 09:07
rachcollins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't seen this Radar coverage map posted yet, apologies if it already has been this thread has turned into a bit of a monster.

I shouldn't have to say it, but given the amount of uninformed postings on this thread I will

The map reflects SSR range only.

Primary ranges are listed below.

This map was released by the Malaysian Department of Civil Aviation.

For obvious reasons it does not show the capabilities of Military radar in the area.

In the Kuala Lumpur and Kota Kinabalu FIRs, radar services are provided using the following civil/military ATC

Radars:

a) A 200 NM long range en-route SSR located at Bt. Chin Chin, Genting Highlands, 23 NM east of Subang -

Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport;

b) A 60 NM Terminal Primary Approach Radar co-mounted with a 200 NM monopulse SSR located to the

west of Johor Bahru-Sultan Ismail Airport runway,

c) A 60 NM Primary Surveillance Radar (PSR) co-mounted with 200 NM monopulse SSR located on Bt.

Subang, 1 NM west of Subang-Sultan Abdul Aziz Shah Airport;

d) A Transportable Radar, 60 NM Primary Surveillance Radar (PSR) co-mounted with 200 NM monopulse

SSR located at KL International Airport;

e) KL International Airport Terminal Approach Radar - A 60 NM Primary Surveillance Radar (PSR) comounted

with 200 NM monopulse SSR located at KL International Airport,

f) A 60 NM Primary Surveillance Radar (PSR) co-mounted with 200 NM monopulse SSR located on Hill

Chengkuang 1.5 NM NE of Langkawi International Airport,

g) A 60 NM Terminal Primary Approach Radar co-mounted with a 200 NM monopulse SSR located to the

south of Kota Bharu-Sultan Ismail Petra Airport runway.

h) A 60 NM Primary Surveillance Radar (PSR) co-mounted with 200 NM monopulse SSR located on Bukit

Kepayang, 1 NM NE of Kota Kinabalu International Airport;

i) A 60 NM Primary Surveillance Radar (PSR) co-mounted with 200 NM monopulse SSR located in Kuching

International Airport;

j) A 60 NM Terminal Primary Approach Radar co-mounted with a 200 NM monopulse SSR located at Miri

Airport.

k) A 50 NM Terminal Approach Radar with co-mounted 250 NM conventional SSR located one each at

Butterworth, Labuan and Kuantan Air Forces Bases;