PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - FAA Grounds 787s
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2014, 07:52
Volume

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Probably the issue goes much deeper than what Bigpants mentions.

Before I went to school and university to use basic calculators and do drawing, I did already had experience in maintenance and repair of my bike, of some of my toys, later of my motorbike and gliders. I was building model aircraft 10 years before I did my first real aircraft calculation.

It is not only the people working on computers today, it is children growing up without any hands on experience on any basic mechanical equipment.

Issues like the cracking ribs on 787 and A380 are not strictly a computer issue, it is the lack of production experience of those who design parts and define processes. It is about understanding that there is and always will be a difference between theory and reality, called production tolerances. They are unavoidable and need to be dealt with in the whole design process. When drawing a part on the computer it is always 100.0000% correct, you can zoom down to micrometers. When producing a real part it will never be as it is on the drawings, there will always be tolerances. You need to learn and fully understand that. And you need to be involved in the full process, not just dealing with a single part within an assembly not knowing about the mating or surrounding items and the whole manufacturing process.

The same is for pilots, we learned from the beginning to deal with issues. We learned to use or operate items that were not fully functional. Today modern toys (from computers up to cars) quit completely when something is broken, so people do not learn anymore to do a temporary fix and get home on a wing and a prayer. If something is broken, stop using it and give it to somebody to fix it. Unfortunately in mid air you sometimes do not have this option...