PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What hight to turn final?
View Single Post
Old 19th Apr 2003, 01:54
Perfect PFL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having learnt to fly in bulldogs on a UAS my preference is also to fly oval circuits like a few others have said.

I was taught to fly the part of the circuit from the end of downwind to landing visually, all on the angle to the runway being correct.

The way this works out in practice (for an 800' circuit) is to fly downwind until the threshold is at an angle of 45degrees behind you, then reduce power and begin your turn. One continuous turn onto finals, aiming to be halfway round at 600', and rolling level on finals at 400'.

I personally think this is the best way to fly a circuit, much better than the square circuits people seem to be taught to fly in civil flying clubs.

I would always fly an oval circuit for a glide circuit, as if I ever had an engine failure I'd fly an oval circuit, as the "sight-line angle" is the best way to achieve the correct landing position during a forced landing, imo. When being taught during PPL instruction, how are you taught to fly a circuit for a PFL / glide circuit / real forced landing? I did my PPL at a military airfield, so am not sure how it is taught by a purely civil club.