PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Pubs
Thread: Aviation Pubs
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2014, 22:44
Windy Militant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bugger I wish I'd known about the George and Dragon at Clyst St George when I stayed there a couple of years ago. It's a vintage Inkeepers Lodge now, there was nothing indicating any Aviation History when I was there, just the usual generic hotel type stuff. Mind you I'd had a fairly long day so staying awake and not dropping off to sleep in my Pie and chips was the main task of the evening!

There are two Premier Inns at Stafford, Stafford North Hurricane which I stayed at a few years ago, and the Stafford North Spitfire. The Hurricane had a few pictures about the place but none of the staff knew the history behind the choice of names.
Finally any of you who are passing therough the Swondon area could look in here Goddard Arms, Clyffe Pypard It's run by Farley Family, the Widow and son of the late John Farley who was behind the Vickers Vimy replica that was flown a few years ago.
There's some interesting stuff there and they are good folk.

Edited to Add years ago going to the Aberdare Park road races passed a pub on the way there around the Blaenafon turnoff, I seem to remember seeing signs for the Big Pit and a Pub sign with a Vulcan Bomber on it. A quick goggle only brings up the Vulcan in Merthyr town centre, which was named after the foundry and the one I saw was by the side of the road not in the town centre.

Last edited by Windy Militant; 11th Mar 2014 at 23:29.