PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HK AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL BLOG
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2014, 17:01
psychohk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MEETING STACK DEPARTURE TIMES

If you are in a 10nm hold and are given an Estimated Approach Time The HK AIP ENR 3.6. details the holding patterns and, as you have mentioned a 10 nm outbound leg, you must be referring to a VHHH STAR holding fix. This being so, you’ll be issued an OCT (Onward Clearance Time) not an EAT. An EAT relates to holding for the Instrument Approach Procedure and VHHH’s three IAF holds (LIMES and TD, and GUAVA [RNAV]) have 1 min outbound legs, not 10 nm,

on the last hold, can you cut the outbound leg short so are over the holding fix at the EAT? [Common sense wants me to say yes, but I can find no ICAO reference approving the shortening of the hold to meet the OCT. ATC’s are generally aware of this specific failure in ICAO practices, and this is usually why controllers, in very busy environments, take OCT compliance upon themselves by vectoring in the hold. The HK AIP (ENR 1.3.2) clearly states that OCT compliance is a flight crew responsibility, “It is important that pilots arrange their holding path so as to leave the holding pattern as near as possible to this time in order that an expeditious traffic flow can be maintained.” and, as best practice, some ATC’s endeavor to avoid vectors by stating, “Shorten or lengthen your hold to depart (fix) at ** and resume the STAR.”

Thanks in advance for answering my question. [Unfortunately the Association is unable to provide a definitive answer here and I’d be grateful if any reader has a better, reference-able, solution. Also, the HKATCA can request clarification from IFATCA and possibly have holding pattern shortening approved as ICAO practice.

Both ICAO and IFATCA Technical reps have been approached for an official stance]