PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 11th Mar 2014, 16:24
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
I have not stated what has happened "IS" Pilot Error.

I have said the evidence so far has presented questions about what happened that Night that would support the notion the Pilot and/or Police Crew likely made some mistakes.

To attribute that to the simple notion and connotation of "Pilot Error" would be both unfair and premature until the AAIB Final Report is issued.

When we talk of what "We" would have done in that situation or such scenario's that have been presented....we have to remember "We" were not in the Aircraft that Night.

We do not know for sure what all the indications were....whether there were equipment or systems failures....or what actions were taken and why they were taken.....or not taken for that matter.

When I stated I would have carried out a Precautionary Landing if I was ever presented with two Red Fuel Low Warning Lights.....that is me speaking for myself.....and myself alone. Fortunately, I have never had that happen in an aircraft with the same Fuel System design as the 135.

When I say I would not.....and generally have not....turned off the Fuel Transfer Pumps.....that again is me speaking for myself....and not necessarily an approved or recommended procedure. That I very rarely had to run the Supply Tanks low Enough for the time a Transfer Pump would be "ON" and so devoid of fuel as to be a problem is due to my practice of landing before that became an issue.

I am not aware of ever having flown an aircraft that had a Transfer Pump fail or have to be changed due to a malfunction in a machine similar to the 135.

That I used a "Minimum Fuel" concept that forced me to land before both Red Fuel Low Lights illuminated also worked to prevent a dangerous fuel quantity situation from occurring.

Add to the Mix that I have absolutely no reservations about making Precautionary Landings and calling for a Fuel Bowser also ensured my not having experienced a desperate fuel situation in an aircraft with the same fuel system design as the 135.

Mind you....I have not ever had to make such a Precautionary Landing as I always found my way to fuel in a timely manner.

What happened to the Pilot and Crew of the Glasgow Aircraft will come out at some point I hope.....and even if there was an error or errors made by the Pilot and Crew....that we learn what the causes (Plural form used on purpose) and remedial actions be taken to prevent such another occurrence from happening again.

We owe it to those lost in this tragic mishap to ensure that is done.