PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2014, 12:25
Coagie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YRP
"Michelson interference? As in the Michelson-Morley experiment on the speed of light that demonstrated the lack of an ether (or that by a coincidence we happen to be stationary relative to the ether... always wondered why they discounted that possibility so readily -- okay only being tongue-in-cheek here ). I'm not quite sure what that has to do with underwater acoustics..."

YRP, Michelson's interference theory is about frequencies and what happens when they mix with one another, etc. It applies to light waves, radio waves and sound waves. It's the basis of the heterodyne circuit I wrote about, that's used in radios, fiber optic telecommunication, as well as sound beacon detection equipment, allowing it to focus on only one frequency, as sensitivity is lost, as the band you're listening for widens.

Anyway, My whole point was the submarine in the AF447 search was not set up for finding the 37.5khz pinger, and that I hoped something was learned from that, and we shouldn't assume a submarine is the best way to listen for a pinger, unless it's specifically set up for it. This disappearance is puzzling. Maybe more is known, but just not leaked to the press. Maybe the governments in that part of the world, don't leak info, but instead, wait 'till they have all their stuff in one sock to report. Maybe the western press is spoiled by it's leaky governments!