PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Practicing manual flying in jet transport ops.
Old 10th Mar 2014, 23:24
sheppey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recall a post from several months back where a 737 F/O asked the captain would he mind if she disconnected the AP as she had an IR coming up and needed some hand flying currency (ie "practice").. They were about 15 miles from touch down slightly off set and on an intercept track to hit a Sydney 16 localiser at around 9 miles I think. Weather CAVOK.

Captain said no problem, fill your boots (or similar expression). F/O says "thanks - most captains I fly with don't like to hand fly"

Approaching LLZ intercept the captain remarked that F/O still had the AP engaged and when are you going to hand fly? Not yet says the F/O - I'll wait until the AP turns me on to the LLZ in case I overshoot the centreline. Captain shakes his head in wonderment. Now on final, F/O switches off the AP but leaves the FD on. Captain says when are you going to switch off the FD and fly raw data like in your CIR renewal?

F/O says she will leave the FD on just in case she has to do a GA. Captain says you don't need a FD for GA. Captain later asks where did you do your type rating, as he was concerned that the F/O had been brain-washed into automatics instead of balanced view of the need to hand fly.

That story is true. It suggests that sort of experience is common in Australian domestic operators ie reluctance to disengage AP even in appropriate conditions.