PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Question about the Qantas layoffs....
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2003, 17:25
Bus Tie Breaker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does laying off staff really save money for Qantas? I have heard the figure $70 million worth of reduncancy payouts in this round of lay-offs. Additionally I know for a fact that currently in the Engineering department at the Sydney International Terminal there is an average of 12 engineers brought in on O/T to cover the work load each dayshift. Then these guys were told that they were to lose 18 work mates from this area in the reduncancy process. Seems to me the bean counters are once again going for the short term look good gain, when in reality there will be no savings and more probably an increase in costs. I can see a time in the future when there will be an employment process undertaken by Qantas to answer its short fall in engineers, and the "savings" made will be a drop in the ocean compared to the real costs of this ridiculous process.

Can anyone who can understand the gains in laying people off, answer a reasonably simple question....What REAL gains are made by sacking staff in times like this?