PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police helicopter crashes onto Glasgow pub
Old 10th Mar 2014, 10:50
zorab64

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pitts-x (#2670) - The first point is correct, and so is the second . . . IF YOU FOLLOW THE FLIGHT MANUAL. Transfer of fuel from main to supply tanks, after having turned on the transfer pumps in the normal start sequence, IS automatic. The only changes come when fuel gets to a stage where one pump runs dry - as has been discussed in great detail - and that requires pilots to understand how the system works, and not deviate from the flight manual, just as in any other aircraft.

D-B (#2705) - I'm afraid you've hit the nail on the head, IMHO. If you are flying with both transfer pumps off and absolutely no fuel in the main tank, certainly UK Police by night, you should already be approaching to land - not 2 miles away, but descending & slowing with the helipad in sight, FULL STOP. Any pilot continuing to fly with both pumps off is putting their machine in a significantly risker profile than necessary, since they're not giving themselves the best chance to put any spilt/splashed/errant/attitude-corrected fuel into the safest place - i.e. the supply tanks!

punto - in the light of the above, I would refute your suggestion that the 135 fuel system design is flawed, as it has been working perfectly well for millions of hours and for many hundreds of pilots who've been flying this aircraft, (i.a.w. the Flight Manual) for 15 years or so.