PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aviation Pubs
Thread: Aviation Pubs
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2014, 22:18
pax britanica

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
Going back a few years on this thread was quite entertaining and nostalgic as I grew up right next to Heathrow and as stated there area few aviation related names for pubs around the airport.

The Happy Landing in Stanwell (not the Happy Landing(s) was at the centre of an Airways Housing Corporation estate and for many years had what was probably a unique pub sign showing an airliner undercarriage just about to touch down.

Just to the north of LHR was indeed a pub called the Air Hostess but I cannot remember ever visiting it but I do remember the sign showing a 1950s60s trolly doll in smart period uniform and hat.

On the same road was the Three Magpies which was a true aviation pub if not a themed one. It is still there but back then it seemed about half the LHR workforce were there any given evening. Same road but further east towards Hounslow was the Travellers Friend (now a McDs ) but the traveller was from a much earlier era.

A little further afield in nearby Hanworth was The Airman , with a proper pre WW2 airman in leather cap and goggles .

I cannot remember any other aviation related as opposed to aviation patronised pubs though it is interesting how many places - all adjoining really had strong aviation connections;
Hanworth Airpark, Hounslow Aerodrome, Heston Airport and finally LHR , why they all begin with H is a bit of an odd coincidence