PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Load Distribution Using Spreaders
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2014, 15:00
HIGHFLY33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underfire...

Thanks a million for your input, albeit it confused me further,

Surely we are trying to avoid exceeding the floor load limitation,

As per your assumption for this to be true UDL will be transferred to the whole span of the floor... So why is there a need for spreaders ?? Is that not to ensure that the load is distributed

For our example lets say I have an airplane with the following limitations as per the OM
RL 560 Kg /m and AL 450 kg m/2 (made up figures)

As per your method we are within limits, as the UDL 1 within limitations...
However here is whereabouts my understanding comes crumbling down..

How can we assume the load is uniformly distributed as the area of contact is limited.. a good example was as John described, when you reduce the footprint of the spreaders.

I am really struggling to come to terms with this assumption.. is there a specific value or special dimension for changing the calculations and consider what you describe as point load...

If you are telling me that the whole floor is actually acting as a spreader already, then what I'm achieving by using "additional" spreaders... Apart for floor protection and added traffic load..

I really want to get a full appreciation of this..

For curiosity when would you then consider the point load or are we disregarding it altogether ?? (surely the floor panels have a design load limit ... ??

A lot of questions arise from what appeared to be a simple question, please continue to provide your input s, as this is greatly appreciated..