PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skymark or China
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2014, 13:48
captjns

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blink, I'm sorry your experience with Skymark is or was not what you had expected it to be.

I've got two friends who've been with Skymark since 2012. As one poster pointed out, it is what you make it, which is exactly what they do. They tell me the days can be long, but are not complicated. They have no desire to transition to A380 as they are in their golden years. The two of them brought their wives over to Japan, as their children are now adults. They take advantage of their time off by travelling around Asia, Australia, and New Zealand, and Japan.

Anyway, a bit of history. The three of us worked for the same carrier back in the US. In 1991 our company filed for bankruptcy. We took voluntary leave. My two friends went with JAL. No Whale time, I went elsewhere. They were with JAL until the plug was pulled with the parking of 747s. As being familiar with local customs and life styles, they were very happy to find employment in back in Japan. Many of their colleagues at Skymark were former expats with JAL.

We sadly watched from overseas as airlines back home disappeared, went bankrupt, cut pay by as much as 50%, terminated retirement plans, scaled back health benefits. A large number of our friends and colleagues have been were severely affected by the events that took place, at their respective carriers, especially after 9/11. Some have never recovered.

Terms and conditions were fatter when we began flying in foreign lands. We were fortunate to have enjoyed generous contracts, perks, housing, travel the world with our families in first class, save and invest a large chunk of our earnings for our retirement and families too. There is a difference in terms and conditions for expats. What would you expect from a glut of unemployed pilots seeking work. You all know about the theory of supply and demand.

China boasts the highest paying contracts abroad... but at a cost. Some of the highest abuse, contract violations without recourse, along with total abandonment from contracting agencies.

There are contracts out there and airlines out there worth working for. I work 6 to 8 weeks and take 3 weeks off with civilized travel between work and home. My pay is not as much as my friends at Skymark. My QOL is different from theirs. I never work more than 4 or 5 days. I have no less than 2 consecutive days off. On some of my days off, I go home, or have my better half meet me at a location for a holiday.

Bottom line Folks… the glamorous days of being the jet setting expat are long over. It is imperative that pilots seeking to be expats must be educated consumers. They must perform their due diligence. They have to conduct thorough research of reputable contracting agencies, and airlines. Can they live in certain locations round the world? Can they accept the local customs? Local customs blend in with the management style of the airline too. They don’t necessarily treat expats the same as natives. Remember the saying from the Wizard of Oz… “We’re no longer in Kansas Toto”. One has to be adaptable and have patience... dealing with foreign management styles, local laws, and customs, governmental agencies, medical exams, DGCAs, to name a few.

At the end of the day many are far better off at home, where there’s a Ruby Tuesday near the house where they can watch a hockey game on the big screen TV. However, have an open mind and enjoy the adventure, and make the life style as you wish.

Just my two bazookums worth.