PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Malaysian Airlines MH370 contact lost
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2014, 13:46
Global Warrior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGLD

I'll try to be polite, because I have the upmost respect for those in your profession, but your privacy concerns should not be influencing the decision to have live video being recorded and sent back to HQ in the case of the safety of an airliner, likewise the passengers have no right to privacy in such an environment, I would argue (much like any privately owned space that's actually a public space e.g. pub, train, bus)
I don't think you need to be apologetic for asking. It is a sensitive issue and you have every right to comment on it.

I think that 1 issue with this is the amount of data that would have to be transmitted and stored. I think at anyone time there are around 10,000 airliners in the sky... Thats a lot of data. It may be that there are bandwidth and storage limits... Don't know, I'm not a techie.

The other aspect to this, though is the mis use of the information, by your employer. Its already happened with the voice recorder. You only need to go on to YouTube to hear recordings which probably shouldn't be in the public domain...but that has been released by the police or whatever. I understand the desirability of having this information available... but i personally don't want big brother looking over my shoulder every second I'm at work.

But putting this in perspective of this incident/accident... its likely all you might see would be a picture followed by nothing if the power was lost or there was a catastrophic break up. And the problem i personally have... and i can't speak for anyone else... is that incidents such as this one drive the necessity to get this technology in the FD to then "spy" on the people doing their jobs, which is then abused by employers and regulators pursuing their own agenda.

Its a delicate issue.