PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Windshear
Thread: Windshear
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2014, 04:32
AirRabbit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by glendalegoon
we use the new speeds and stick with them. that's about as easy as I can make it for you. the new speeds will provide for scheduled performance in going or stopping. and more energy in a windshear encounter right after takeoff.
So … if I’m reading your posts correctly – your company manual allows you to arbitrarily reduce V1 by some individually desired amount (this is done to help ensure that the cockpit announcement of V1 can be started AND ended prior to actually passing V1 speed – because it takes so long for someone to actually say, out loud, the words “Vee One”) … and that same manual allows you to arbitrarily increase V1 (and this is accomplished by using an exceptionally higher gross weight than the airplane actually weighs). The bottom line is that your company authorizes each pilot – presumably each Captain – to select a V1 speed – either higher or lower than the derived V1 – by an amount deemed appropriate by that pilot (Captain), and this is authorized because the availability of these alternatives provides for “scheduled performance in going or stopping” and, at the same time, provides “more energy in a windshear encounter right after takeoff.”

I suspect that there are those, other than “yours truly,” who visit/post on this forum who find this kind of logic to be decidedly absent any logic and at the very minimum, self-contradictory. To me it would appear that the company could save at least some money by removing any references to “V-speeds” from that manual and simply allow each pilot (captain) to use whatever speed he/she desires – since there doesn’t seem to be an aerodynamic, a scientific, or a mathematical justification for the use of any particular number because of changing environmental conditions and personal preferences. It is, to say the least, an interesting approach to aviation.