PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cessna 100 and 200 SIDS
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2014, 01:05
Avgas172

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the strut breaks on your strut braced Cessna, well, it's not going to end well. That said, it is widely accepted that there has never been the failure of a strut braced Cessna in flight. I am aware of a 185 which was so badly overstressed recovering from a spin through cloud, that the wings were bent outboard of the strut. It still landed safely, and the wings were rebuilt.
This is from a lengthy discussion in a previous Pprune US thread, I can find no documented evidence of a wing failure in a 172/152 other than from coming into contact with another aircraft mid air, however to get back to my original point of U bolts on the spring undercarriage of a C172, Cessna deciding something should be changed 'just because we said so' will inevitably end up in court, meanwhile I personally would not buy another Cessna product full stop .... Under 15 years old or not.

Incidentally I am currently in the process of organising the SIDS program for my machine, and will keep in touch with any problems found in the process.

Last edited by Avgas172; 9th Mar 2014 at 01:09. Reason: Added a bit ...