PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BELFAST CITY AIRPORT (BHD)
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2014, 19:52
mart901

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your right panpanpanpan, DUB is the main hub for the island, and there just isn't sufficient demand for masses of European routes from all over, FR may very well be able to produce a short term result out of somewhere like SNN with masses of cheap seats, but long term these type of ideas aren't viable. I do think NI airports could offer more though and a lot of the issue is the size of aircraft used by the low cost operators which dominate the airspace. As for the argument (and boy is it boring) about one airport for NI it just doesn't stack up in my eyes, there will always be a cat fight over UK traffic in particular LON, its where the majority of people emigrated to over the years and there's rich pickings to be had through all major holiday periods, put LDY, BHD and BFS together and what have you got - a load of domestic routes and a smattering of sunshine and an odd euro city or US flight, what would all this investment that would apparently happen do to encourage more routes if the demand isn't there anyway, if anything it could drive more people through Dublin by restricting choice. Granted BHD and BFS are close but I'm sure people landing in LDY to get to Donegal etc have no wish do do so via Belfast somehow, regardless of how much investment there has been in an airport. What NI needs is lasting, real peace to drive tourism and thats what will grow routes.