PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 8th Mar 2014, 13:46
The500man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think life is getting too complicated so people prefer things to be simple and easily accessible. The driving comparison was spot on. Modern cars can be thrown into corners, you can stamp on the brakes and you don't even need to know how to check oil levels or how to change a tyre. Aviation is decades behind but it is surely progressing in the same direction with computer assisted handling (oh God you may stall) and automatics so you can relax and maybe take a much needed nap after all the stresses of everyday life.

Personally I don't much like the Cub. It flies nicely but, it's too small, hard to get in and out of, has lots of things to bang your head on and has heel brakes that anyone of reasonable human proportions can barely use. It's also slow, and has tandem seating with only one instrument panel. I can see why it's not the average pilots first choice of rental.

Somebody above mentioned that they usually see tail-dragger pilots landing nicely whereas tricycle pilots tend to find "other ways" of landing. If this is evident of a tricycle trained pilot flying in a tricycle aircraft than it is surely something that proper flight instruction on a tricycle aircraft should be able to fix. So in summary it's all the flight instructors fault! Wouldn't a higher barrier to entry for flight instruction be a better solution to assbackwardsness than using an old ass... erm errr aeroplane?