PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2014, 03:59
Gretchenfrage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting read, but i beg to differ.

To change aircraft design to adapt for cultural differences is saddling the horse beginning from the tail end. The modern (western) design has proven to be the most suited for civil aviation, with all its controversies (as you may remember, i am inclined to somewhat exclude the AB design here ...... but that's another thread).

Having started aviation with our own western old military heroes at the helm, i experienced the advent of CRM, due to the new awareness that the old ways lead to disaster. It was a pain first, but eventually worked quite well. I am sure it can work just as much for other cultures.

It all depends on the willingness of the regulators and company management.

And that is the problem, not aircraft design. If greed and wrong political or cultural correctness prevail, even a new design must fail.

As much as in the asian and arabic circles a change of culture is difficult, albeit necessary, i am afraid that the new greed and deregulation spectre works to annihilate the achievements we made in our latitudes!

We have to be convincing to the east and vigilant amongst our ranks.

One more thing:

It is known that in an emergency it is often the thing we are taught FIRST that kicks into action
Agreed, but it has to be taught first, and that is criminally neglected in many regions and companies.