PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 7th Mar 2014, 21:53
Chuck Ellsworth

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To get a PPL you must first go to kindergarten before you enter grade school.

Kindergarten would be held in a farmers grass field and the school room would be a Cub, once the student mastered the Cub to solo they would then enter grade school....a regular flight training school where they would then be taught by rote and introduced to all the ancillary tasks such as radios, flight and engine instrument interpretation, weather and on and on until they either realized they were being screwed or they go broke.
Johnm:

In all fairness to you I agree we can agree to disagree.....

So please allow me to comment on your opinions.

This is almost precisely the wrong way round. Start with a PA 28 or a 172 or some other half way sensible but cheap aeroplane which is easy to fly.
The Cub is easy to fly.

As soon as the pupil can land reliably send them solo and then teach radio, GPS and all the other bits that make travelling in a light aeroplane practical.
Radio and GPS can be taught without any airplane being needed, period.

Thereafter you can do advanced things like flying old aeroplanes that are hard to fly and aerobatics and so forth.
Obviously your vision of what an advanced airplane is and my understanding of an advanced airplane are diametrically different.

I learned to fly on tail wheel airplanes in 1953, they were basic trainers and they produced competent pilots in the same general time frame today's pilots are trained in modern basic nose wheel airplanes.

To me advanced airplanes were the ones I finished my career on which were modern glass cockpit airliners.