PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2014, 20:00
ExSp33db1rd

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, I agree, cultural differences affect what is now referred to as CRM.

As a Captain with an Asian airline employing many nationalites, a British co-pilot profusely apologised to me for disembarking and boarding the crew transport before me. I asked him what he meant ? He explained that on his last trip the "Local" Training Captain had torn into him with rage when he left the flight deck before the Captain, asking that if he treated a Training Captain with such disrespect, how did he treat a mere Line Captain ?

In the early days of "monitored approach" trials - whereby the "non-handling" pilot flies the instrument approach down to minima, where the "handling pilot" then takes over and completes a manual landing, a PanAm skipper walked over to us and said " Pan Am has practised monitored approach procedures since the dawn of aviation" Oh! Really ? " Yes, he said, I fly, he monitors " !

In my early days as a Second Officer / Navigator, I was roundly admonished for addressing the co-pilot by his Christian names. " We do NOT use Christian names on the flight deck, MR XXXX " and one of that Captains own colleagues was known for not talking to anyone but his co-pilot, he would order the co-pilot to ask the flight engineer to set take off power, and as Navigator I wasn't allowed to pass any information directly to him, I had to give it to the co-pilot for transmission across the centre pedestal ! - and that was in a British airline with only British crew. North Atlantic Barons we called that generation of Captains, maybe the British Class system was still alive and well in those days.

We are all subject to "culture" !!