PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 7th Mar 2014, 12:53
Desert185

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Johnm

On the original topic, it's not the aeroplane that matters, it's the training and the willingness to read the POH and do what it says. It's also about making sure you never stop learning and planning for every flight.
Agreed. I learned in 150's. Instrument in a 172, and transitioned to taildraggers when the school where I was instructing bought a Citabria. CFII in a PA-28. I managed to successfully transition to corporate jets, airline jets, a civil C-130 and then a wide (wider) body jet. For the past 15 years or so, I have been enjoying going back to my roots flying a taildragger in the mountains and I had the opportunity, post-retirement, to fly a survey Twin Otter for a few years. My current hobby job is back in the jets. Those 150/152's and good instruction did me justice.

The aircraft type(s) didn't really seem to matter for me. I will say that when I was with Civil Air Patrol (in keeping with my personal policy to fly anything offered) I had the opportunity to checkout in a brand new, Garmin1000 C-182...and didn't like it. Actually left me cold, and I'm a hard-core iPad guy now. My CAP favorites were the Beaver, 185 and steam gauge 206 (in that order). My passion is really taildraggers.

I had some really good instructors and a few bad ones in the early days. Learned from them both. Good instruction works regardless of where the tailwheel location is, and variety of experience is a big contributor. Eat when its offered, sleep when you can and fly whatever comes along.