PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why has flight training gone assbackwards?
Old 7th Mar 2014, 07:25
Andy_P

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just thinking, re the car arguement. I own a 1948 holden, I also have a 2013 nissan navara. The old holden is a prick to drive, has a crash box (no syncro in first) and bump steers really well. The navara is great, easy to drive, auto gearbox, power steering, aircon.... Am I better driver in the holden? no, because there is too many distractions.. Am I better driver in the new car, no, to many distractions too. I think its a poor argument when related to aircraft. BUT, I have to agree in some sorts with the difference in skill sets between old an new, When I was a kid, we could take the cars out in the bush, race them around, learn how they handle and learn how to correct errors. Kids learning to drive these days don't get that opportunity. They dont get the opportunity to learn how to recover a car when they screw up.

Looking from the other side of the fence, the training is more strict for learner drivers now, they cant go out and muck up like we did, but there is less deaths as a result now (statistically, it becomes a numbers game). I am too new into aviation to make a comparison, but is aviation similar now? Is there less accidents now, or more?