PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What is it like as an FO in the first years? (when you are from the North)
Old 6th Mar 2014, 18:44
phdixon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mb wings

In a similar position to you live up North wife and one child have completed PPL and a chunk of the hour building. However I have been in this position for about two years haven't borrowed any money yet or even gone for a class 1 medical. I would also be limited to a base up North.

When I started training people were getting jobs I have seen local instructors move on to local TP operators and are now at bases of there choice up North. I even know one guy who was lucky enough to secure a job with a well known Northern airline.

What is stopping me is I know how hard it will be to get a job, the strain the rest of training will put on my family and being based near home are all factors. I have a well paid job and unlike you a wife that thinks I live in cloud cook coo land when it comes to flying. I hate my job with a passion and want nothing else to change career and get a flying job but at age 38 it is also starting to look doubtful. If I decide to make a break for it I would have to do it soon. The way I see it I am ten paces further towards the goal than I was five years ago and don't have any debt, also enjoyed flying as an expensive hobby, as my wife says.

The way I have done it is as a hobby and put myself in a position if it does suddenly by some sort of miracle change tomorrow and there is a chance of the job market picking up. I would be able to finish training in a reasonable length of time. I do study bits of the ATPL course but find this helps expand knowledge of flying. My only advice is to tread carefully, if it does happen to me hopefully I will finish with only about 25k worth of debt unless I have to buy a type rating. That would send the Mrs over the edge good luck with what ever you decide.

Last edited by phdixon; 12th Mar 2014 at 19:00.