PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAPL to PPL
Thread: LAPL to PPL
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2014, 15:39
RTN11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Indeed, the point of this thread is purely to ask about getting an LAPL with the plan from the onset to be to eventually convert it to a full PPL, something which saves almost no money at all, and creates more paperwork for almost no reason. I really don't think it's a good idea at all.

as a stand alone licence for those who are content with the minor restrictions it has, it's a great licence, and one I will certainly revert to when the time comes and the quack says "sorry no Class II for you this time"
True that it is a nice stand alone licence, and if I ever lose class 2 then it will certainly be nice to still be able to fly if I'm at least able to get LAPL medical.

The point still remains though that it is almost unachievable for the average flying club student to go through this course in 30 hours and reach a high standard at test. Most really struggle with the 45 hours, and they haven't cut enough out of the syllabus for the LAPL to make it a proper 30 hour course, so although that's the legal minimum I really don't think you'll see many go though in that time. Of course a lot of flying schools will probably use it as a bit of a sales pitch, quoting prices based on minimum hours which look attractive, and I guess that's fair enough if it gets punters to do more than just a trial lesson, but from the onset I would choose the full PPL every time, as for the extra money you could do away with those restrictions. Again, if you don't have the money to keep your licence current going forward, then I wouldn't bother starting, as it's a very expensive hobby for just two years of flying.