PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LAPL to PPL
Thread: LAPL to PPL
View Single Post
Old 6th Mar 2014, 13:07
RTN11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The two yearly medical for the old geezers, the ability to carry three pax, the aircraft weight of 2000kg
That's only one benefit and two restrictions compared to a full PPL.

You can add a night rating to an LAPL anyway, it's very different from the NPPL, and isn't restricted to Europe, but my main point remains that if you can get a class 2 medical, then in the grand scheme of things you're not really saving a lot of money by not doing the full PPL from the onset.

The LAPL is purely designed for people who can't get a class 2 medical, but can get a LAPL medical. People who look at it as a cheaper alternative are kidding themselves, as the savings are minimal and it's just more paperwork in the long run if you want to upgrade.

As already mentioned, you can perhaps save 5 hours training, but to upgrade would require another flight test (probably 2 hours) and a new licence issue fee, so the actual cost saving is just a couple of hundred quid for a whole lot of hassle and extra paperwork. On top of this, every hour you go over the 30 required for the LAPL is actually an extra cost which would have been saved by just doing the full PPL.

Seems like a lot of hassle for absolutely no gain to me, but I've always had a class 1 medical. If I could only get an LAPL medical, I would clearly be pursuing this route to keep flying as a hobby.